Wednesday, August 15, 2007

We Knew…

We knew not who we were with…Shakespeare’s version of the Godfather…No. Somehow that just doesn’t sound right. As this topic obviously pertains to knowledge, I will write about that. I had a run in (rather unfortunately) with a drunken man (who will remain nameless), in a pub where my family dined just last week. Being in his drunken state, he saw no need for an ice breaker to start a conversation with me, and jumped right into the topic of teenage knowledge…or the lack thereof. He stereotyped me as a ‘typical’ teenager (which I couldn’t be too offended by, because I had already branded him as a typical drunk in my mind). Prattling on (somewhat slurred) about the probability of my high ego, naivete and ignorance, he actually got me reflecting on human knowledge. People can be so sure of something they know (whether they have reason or not.) They will even defend their knowledge to the point of violence. Look at the people who were positive that the world was flat…until Christopher Columbus broke the bad news. It’s really amazing what human conviction can do…often equated with righteousness.

No comments: