Wednesday, August 15, 2007

Family Fantasy Fighting: The Chief vs. Stepthingy

Wow. What a day. I painstakingly moved my entire blog over from wordpress.com and got it tweaked just the way I want it. For now. I must have changed my blog a dozen times since I started it in May, but this is the first time I feel as though I've finally reached a happy-blogging-zone. At last, I can rest. Well, almost.

Ya see, I have this tiny, little, infinitesimal stressor. My Mother in Law (AKA The Chief Out-Law) is coming for a visit tomorrow. Normally this would be cause for panic for me, but not this time. No, no. I finally seem to have been able to adopt an attitude of nonchalance toward Comic's family. Yes, even Snarflap. That, and a large quantity of weed should get me to a good place in my head before the Chief's arrival tomorrow. Joking.

At least this time, I've been able to avoid the usual pre Chief arrival meltdown:
  • I haven't chewed my nails down to the quick. Check.
  • No stress 'blemishes' (normally, pizza face wouldn't be far off). Check.
  • No insomnia. Check.
  • No blood pouring down the walls. Check.
  • No frantic house cleaning. Check.
  • No hiding of all questionable items (this could include certain brands of soap) Check.
  • No stockpile of anti-anxiety medications. Check.
I'd say that I'm rather a changed person! I may have known the answer for years, but I guess I just needed time to come around and finally realize that I don't need to worry about what old Chiefy comes out with in her arsenal tomorrow. I am me and there's nothing she can do about it. And the interest I have in the way she thinks I should be doing things rates somewhere below Pokemon on my list of what I care about. It's taken me a long time to say that and mean it, so I'll now give myself a well-deserved pat on the back.

Now, I figure if I can get past tomorrow with my self esteem and sanity in check, then it will bode well for the upcoming trip this weekend. We're going to spend our first overnight trip with Dad and Stepthingy. I'm very excited about seeing Dad, nothing like a good BBQ, Intrepid will make his first trip into the pool, where Comic will show him the art of cannonballing, no doubt, but I'm a little nervous about Stepthingy (basically all you need to know is that this is a super manipulative, ego maniacal, self-esteem thrashing kind of person, who is so evil that I'd rather spend a month-long cruise with The Chief than spend one hour in her company). Should be a blast!

Tomorrow will be my first test. And now to bed, for a peaceful night's rest. Bring it on Chiefy.

No comments: